Kiyone Masaki (柾木 清音, Masaki Kiyone) is the mother of Tenchi Masaki and Tennyo Masaki in the OVA universe. In the Tenchi Universe continuity, Tenchi's mother is Achika Masaki who has a completely different background, appearance and personality.
Kiyone was Half-Juraian, half-Airaian. She was born to Katsuhito Masaki, originally named Yosho, the crown prince of the planet Jurai and his wife Airi as well as being the younger sister of Minaho. Even though she still looked youthful, she died peacefully at the age of 248 when Tenchi was a young boy after becoming quite senile with her mischievous jokes becoming more senseless as time progressed. Kiyone married Nobuyuki Masaki, a distant descendant of Yosho. Kiyone is also nearly identical in appearance to her daughter Tennyo.
Kiyone was known to be incredibly mischievous and even slightly sadistic, showing her love to Tenchi through many pranks. She even writes an extremely morbidly-humorous script for her father and Nobuyuki to follow when explaining her death to Tenchi. The script was co-written by her mother, from whom Kiyone gets her mischievous streak. The script involves telling several stories where Kiyone ends up getting hurt, but not dying due to her Juraian heritage, with the stories being completely unrelated to her actual death. After Tenchi gets mad and storms off, Rea, Tenchi's future step-mother, finds him and explains that Kiyone expressed her love through her pranks and that most likely, the mother he remembers quietly smiling at him was probably just her smiling at a joke at his expense. Tenchi eventually accepts that his mother isn't like he remembered her and that she still loved him despite her jokes. He also acknowledges that the image he created for his mother was merely a mix up of his memories, as Rea became a motherly image to him after Kiyone passed on.
In the manga, which is in a separate continuity, her name is changed to Achika because the character Kiyone Makibi is introduced. Additionally, her personality and death is different than in the series. Kiyone's death wasn't a natural one of old age; she was accidentally killed when Tenchi's incredible power surfaced at a young age and ended up accidentally killing his mother.
- JAPANESE - Emi Shinohara (篠原 恵美)
- ENGLISH - Petrea Burchard (a.k.a. Celeste Burch, OVA 1), Wendee Lee (OVA 3)
- The name Kiyone means "clear, pure, clean" (清) (kiyo) and "sound" (音) (ne).
- Kiyone's surname Masaki means "straight grain, spindle tree, (kokuji)" (柾) (masa) and "tree, wood" (木) (ki).
- Kiyone changed her hair color after marrying Nobuyuki and settling on Earth. Much like her aunt Ayeka did.
- In the anime, a translation error caused Tenchi Masaki to call Kiyone Grandmother, while he was mourning her death.
- It is never established 'why' Kiyone had a shorter lifespan than her parents,= and other family members.
- However, she seemed to have anticipated it as she left in her will a plan for her family to tell Tenchi the reason for her death into an elaborate joke.
- Her face and hair bears a slight resemblance to Kei's facial appearance from Spaceship Agga Ruter, but with lilac eyes and no spot between the eye lashes.